Saturday, May 30, 2009

Thomas Visit

10 pounds heavier, I'm cleaning the house after Ben's parents and brother Zach left. We had such a wonderful time! I didn't get many pictures because I was lazy and then I flippantly passed our camera to my mother-in-law while trying to control a screaming Benson and I dropped it. Broken.
So, here are a few pictures of what we did.

One day we drove out to Greensboro to visit the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park.

It is a Revolutionary War Battle Site. There is a statue of a woman there, a war heroine, named Karenhappuch Turner.


The short of her story is that she had many sons who fought in the Revolutionary War. She lived in Maryland and when she got word of her wounded sons, she rode horseback all the way to North Carolina (at 80 years of age) to nurse them, and others, back to health.

She is actually one of Ben's ancestors (Father's side)!
Benson really didn't want to take this picture.

Claire Face stayed in the stroller for about 5 minutes.
Here's Benson with his new "bug catcher" from Grandma and his walking stick that was quickly thrown back into the forest.



Then the usual things we did were:


Going out to eat


UNCLE ZACH (aka Uh-hol Jack)! Fresh off the mission. Benson LOVED him. Loved him. Most of the time Bens wouldn't even pay any attention to Ben's parents--only Zach.

The best new toy of the week was the mattress that Uncle Zach slept on.
Wrestling with Grandpa!


Chillin' with Grandpa

Getting presents from Grandma


Thanks so much for coming! We love you and miss you already!

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Sorry about the camera.

I love the wrestling pictures. Grandparents are the best!

Kate said...

Oh, I WISH I could have gone too! My parents had a great time. That's cute that Bens loved Zach so much. I heard about his little tricks and talents, like running a lap around the living room, and asking Zach to watch him. So cute.

Kathleen said...

Bet the temporary extra pounds were worth every bite! What a fun time! The story of Ben's courageous ancestor is fascinating. I didn't know that some of his ancestors lived in the U.S.! And Karenhappuch Turner lived in Maryland, no less! That's so cool! Hey, I love Benson's smile and Claire's profile in the pic you took of everyone in the parking lot. Did you get a pedicure, Sarah? Your toenails look perfectly polished in the pic of Bens holding his bug catcher and walking stick. And Claire's gelato shirt is adorable. Can't believe that Zach has already completed his mission! His 2 years seemed to go by faster than ever. By the way, happy 5 year anniversary today of returning home from Geneva. Can you believe it?!!

Inger said...

Sarah, you did a wonderful blog about their visit in spite of a broken camera!! The pictures are wonderful,and you wrote so nicely to give us an idea of what you did. I love the last picture of
Claire's little smile, and I love Benson with the bug catcher. It is so fun to look at all the pictures. You all look so great!!

Amanda Goldsmith said...

Benson and Claire look like they had a blast! There is nothing like a fun uncle. I remember thinking mine were the greatest!

Kim Hawryluk said...

Aw, how fun to have some visitors! Can't believe how big the kids are getting! I love Sis. Thomas' hair like that - it looks so cute. Zach looks so much older and a younger-version of his Dad, hey? Wow. You guys look like you're doing great down there. How's Ben doing in school? Hope things are great!

Unknown said...

I love Benson's open mouth in the picture of us behind the open trunk. What was he doing?