
It's finally here!
Pumpkin Soup
1 (10) lb. pumpkin 2 qt. chicken broth
2 C. minced onions 2 C. sliced mushrooms
½ C. butter 1 C. heavy cream
1 ½ C. grated Swiss cheese
1 (10) lb. pumpkin 2 qt. chicken broth
2 C. minced onions 2 C. sliced mushrooms
½ C. butter 1 C. heavy cream
1 ½ C. grated Swiss cheese
Before you do anything, cut the top off the pumpkin at a slant so that it can later function as a lid without falling in as it’s baking. Clean it all out but make sure that the sides are all thick and strong so they won’t leak.
In a large skillet, sauté onions in butter until tender. Add sliced mushrooms and continue to sauté. Stir in chicken broth. Pour soup mixture inside pumpkin. Place pumpkin with lid on a large pizza pan. Bake at 400° F for 1 ½ hrs, or until pumpkin has softened. Do not overcook or pumpkin will collapse.
Just before serving, add cream. To serve, scrape chunks of pumpkin from inside as soup is ladled into bowls. Top with Swiss cheese.
NOTE: This is the recipe that my mother-in-law has always followed and it is good as is. My fabulous sister-in-law, Kate, adds wedges of zucchini though and after it’s all cooked, corn. Basically, fill the pumpkin with veggies. Sometimes all the broth won’t fit so she heats the rest in a pot and just mix it in at the end.
Oh, it is delicious! And I have to say from personal experience: if it doesn't work well the first time TRY AGAIN!
1 comment:
It was great running into you yesterday. I checked out your blog first thing, I just haven't had a chance to comment until now. Sorry!
That soup sounds amazing. A little intimidating, but amazing. I think I might try it...
We really should get together soon. We leave out of town next week, but I will contact you after we get back :)
Post a Comment