CAFE RIO WANNA-BE
Well, I know many of you have this or some variation of it but for those who don't...here is my long lost Provo love. Pick any one that looks the best to you!
*Flour tortillas
*black or pinto beans, heated on the stove
*shredded cheese
*Romaine lettuce, chopped
*fresh salsa
*Parmesan cheese
*lime wedge
*tortilla strips or chips
*guacamole
Pick one rice, one meat and one dressing from the following:
RICE:
3 C water
4 t chicken bouillon
4 t minced garlic
1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
1 t cumin
1 can green chilies
3/4 t salt
1 T butter
1/2 onion chopped
3 C rice, uncooked
*Bring water to boil, add all ingredients. Cook for 30 minutes.
OR try this rice:
2 C long grain rice
1 1/2 T butter
1/2 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 onion diced small
1 (4 oz) can of diced green chilies
juice of 1 lime
3 3/4 C water
2 bouillon cubes dissolved
1/2 C diced cilantro
1 green onion diced
*saute rice, garlic and onion in butter and olive oil. Add green chilies, lime juice, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil reduce and cook rice according to directions. Fluff with fork and mix in cilantro and green onions.
Pork:
5-6 pound pork roast
1 T cumin
1 C brown sugar
20 oz bottle coke
12 oz red taco sauce
*Put roast in crock pot and cover half way with water. Cook roast on low for 12 hours (save liquid from roast in separate bowl). Add remaining ingredients to roast and cook for another 4 hours. Take out roast and shred. Put shredded pork back in crock pot, pour in liquid and cook for an additional hour or so.
OR
Pork:
3-4 pound pork roast
3 cans 'el pato' tomato sauce
3 cans (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 C dr. pepper
1/2 C brown sugar
*Cook on low for 6 hours and shred.
OR if you would rather have chicken...
Chicken:
1 small bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
3 cloves minced garlic
5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
*Roast all ingredients in crock pot on low for 4 hours. Shred chicken, roast an additional 1 hour.
OR
Chicken
5 chipotle chili peppers, canned or fresh, reconstituted and drained (to reconstitute chipotle chilies, simply cover them with boiling water and soak for 1 hour. Drain well before using. If using canned chillies, simply rinse and use).
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T honey
2 T balsamic vinegar
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
3 T oil
juice of 1 lime
1/8 t black pepper
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
*In food processor, process chipotle chilies and garlic until minced. Add remaining ingredients, except chicken and process until smooth. pour over chicken and cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Transfer chicken and marinade to crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours. Shred.
Creamy Tomatillo Ranch Dressing:
1 pkg ranch powder mix w/ mayo and milk as directed
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tomatillo or 1/2 jalapeno
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 t lime juice
*put all in blender and voila.
OR
Creamy Tomatillo Dressing:
1 pkg buttermilk Ranch dressing (powder)
3 tomatillos
1 C mayo
1C buttermilk
1 C chopped cilantro
3 cloves garlic
1/8 cayenne pepper
*put all in blender and chill.
And to assemble it:
*warm flour tortilla and place on the bottom of your plate.
*Sprinkle with shredded cheese
*spoon on your choice of hot beans, rice and then shredded meat
*Top with chopped romaine lettuce, fresh salsa, cilantro, tortilla chips and guacamole.
*Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve with lime wedge on the side.
If only they really looked and tasted like this:
5 comments:
SARAH!! I'm really sorry I suck at salad week! I just might get around to finding a good enough salad to post:) In response to your comment, I wish that we were neighbors too! I seriously miss you guys, and I want to see Benson and Claire! I hope you guys are doing well. I want your phone number!
and use my homemade tortilla recipe!!! Soooo good with it.
Also, I think you meant voila instead of viola. I don't think you want a viola with your salad :) unless you want some background music...
We made these salads vegetarian the other week and I made a triple bean (pinto, kidney, black) mixture with peppers, rice, corn and spices. It was fantastico!
Oh, AWESOME. Do you remember me, btw? I was Sara's roomie/bff in college..Jeni Hendrix? I still have a picture of you and Sara in a picture booth taken somewhere in Switzerland in my planner. I feel like I know you and blog stalk you on occasion. I hit the mother load today!! I LOVE Cafe Rio salads. SO excited for these recipes, and others I have seen. I made a good one for the Relief Society broadcast last week called "That Good Salad". I got it off allrecipes.com . Do a search for it and it will show up. The homemade dressing made the salad. Yummy. Thanks for sharing! Your family is beautiful! ANd, if you ever want to blogstalk me, my blog address is www.rolltideennisfamily.blogspot.com
Umm.. yeah. Thanks T. It's not like I actually speak French or anything...
This post has changed my life. and I'm not kidding.
Post a Comment