Monday, March 31, 2008

The Car Show!

Ben and his dad are really into cars. Calgary has a big car show every year with all the newest models, so all the Thomas' went! Benson LOVED running around and sitting in as many cars as he could. Here are just a few pictures.






This ramp entertained him for a good 15 minutes, it seemed! He was talking his jibberish really loudly the whole time and entertained lots of people walking by.


And speaking of cars... this is why I do and don't want a TV in our car:


This is in my Mother-in-law's car. Benson loves riding in her car, of course, because we play movies for him. It is seriously only in the car that he gets this into a movie. It makes for very pleasant long car rides, however, he is starting to expect a movie even if we're running a short errand! I try and hold out but when he knows it's there, it's hard to distract him. Any thoughts??

11 comments:

MaryClaire Brown said...

We have a dvd player in our car, and parker loves it. but, i only turn it on if we're going to be in the car for more than 1/2 hour. so, it's not on for errands or even just a trip down to provo b/c that's really only 20 min. when we first got the car and he got to watch a movie he started asking for it every time we got in the car, but i didn't give in, and now he gets it. he still asks sometimes, but i just say, "no, we're only going a short ways" and he's ok. it took some time to get to that, but it's totally worth it. he's learned to have fun looking for trucks and cows and horses, etc.

krisjane said...

I love the photo of Benson watching TV in the car! He looks very into what he is watching! You look great! I can't even tell you are pregnant in your photos! When are you due again?

Cait said...

LOVE IT! We had a DVD player in the car, but we took it out for our vacation in January and have not put it back in. When we first got back from our trip Terry and I couldn't believe how talkative Brooklyn was in the car. Then we finally realized, it because she wasn't watching Cinderella. I I don't really like the DVD player for just around the city because I enjoy our conversations, but for long trips I think they are a HUGE help! And I want you baby to be born, one cause I want to see it, and two cause it means I will soon follow!

Likely said...

My vote is do not install one in your car. Get a portable one, if you don't have one already. And read this book: Last Child in the Woods. It is about how deprived children are from nature these days. One of the things it talks about is how children aren't dreaming as they gaze out of the car windows anymore because they are glued to Buzz Lightyear.

Max loves trips across the county looking for animals and trucks and buses, like MC said. Think about your childhood road trips - singalongs, watching the telephone polls tick by, license plate bingo, counting down the miles to the destination. You learn how to entertain yourself eventually.

We only use shows for very long car or airplane trips (like over two hours or something).

Kirkland's said...

I love the comatosed look on his face! I have to pause a movie or turn the tv off when I want Alex to listen to me! It's an evil luxury! We don't have a car with a tv in it, but soon we will and then I will be in your predicament. Good luck!

Jeff and Diana said...

benson is getting so big and adorable as usual. i hear he can be a handful and i am so happy to hear that my two year old is not the busiest two year old in the fam! good luck with the two kids. it really is so much fun!

Inger said...

Sarah, I love the pictures. It is nice how Benson is now adjusted to his new place. Even movies in the car. Yes, a portable one is better than to install one in the car. That way he can look out the window, when he is NOT in his grandma's car. I especially liked the pictures of Benson watching a movie!! I see what you mean!

Tiff Rueckert said...

I'm not one to be a TV nazi...we all know my daughter LOVES the TV and would watch all day long if I'd let her...but I am AGAINST TV's IN CARS! When we bought our car the dealer & Chris kept trying to talk me into it because they could put them in the headrests for only a couple dollars more a month, but I held strong and said NO! YOu know I spend a lot of time draggin my kids around in the car and I love that Brielle has to entertain herself in the car, she talks to herself about all kinds of funny stuff and we bring her DVD player if we are going to SLC or on a trip...because they make traveling 100 times better!

Amanda said...

Haha! That car show looks fun. Sarah, your new hair looks great!
And as for the TV in the car thing: Dad suggests you put on church history documentaries. That'll show em'! :)

Kim Hawryluk said...

I saw your MIL last night at Enrichment and she said you were at the hospital! I know you won't get this for a while, but good luck with everything! :)

Jodi said...

We love car shows too! that is fun for you guys. As far as the DVD player goes- we have a portable one that I only put in the car when we are going somewhere far away. That way she never expects it- but it is a life saver for those long trips.