Wednesday, May 16, 2007

BEST FRESH SALSA


By nature I am a Mexican food freak. I love it. I hesitate to admit this, but my freshman year in college I ate chips and salsa (Rojo's) until it make me sick, but I still love chips and salsa.I grew up having Taco Salad every Monday night of my LIFE and I insist on carrying on that tradition in my family -- no matter how Ben feels about it. Anyway, I wanted to share a recipe for a fresh salsa that I think is FABULOUS. Try it! I will give the exact recipe first and then put what I added to make it better!


Combine the following ingredients and toss to mix:

1/2 cup sliced green onions

1/2 cup frozen or canned corn

1/2 cup canned balck beans, rinsed and drained

1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes

2 Tbsp chopped jalapenos

15 cilantro leaves, chopped

2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp salt


OK- that's the exact recipe but I added:


  • 1/2 cup sliced black olives

  • 2 avocados cut in small cubes

  • a little garlic salt

  • a dash of red pepper

  • and it should be doubled with a lot more cilantro than it says


ENJOY!!!


And if anyone has another fresh salsa recipe that is better, PLEASE give it to me!!!


2 comments:

Linda said...

you make your own salsa? I have a great recipie...

Anna's Taqueria...3 minute walk due west from my house. They also have delicious guacamole!!!

mmmmm

Likely said...

I have a very similar recipe but the name of it is cowboy caviar. I love that name...

Pretty much the same ingredients but there are more beans: I add a can of black, a can of whole pinto and a can of black eyed peas.

I know I know, black eyed peas? I hesitated myself. I had never had them before this recipe but I have to admit, they are just very bean like and a good source of vegetarian protein.

My recipe also has italian dressing as a source of flavor and a binding ingredient.

I also add avocado and ALWAYS use frozen corn over canned. I have even cut raw corn off the cob for this... delicious!

You could throw in some diced bell pepper as well.

Que delicioso!