Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oh Canada!!

We took the opportunity to drive further North to visit my beautiful sister-in-law Jess and her husband, David, who live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. So beautiful! I didn't see it at first because we drove through the night and arrived at their house at 3:30 AM! (We even went into a different time zone) We would have been there earlier but Ben insisted that we try a lobster roll in Maine just to see if it was better than in Boston.
No difference.


It was so great to see Jess and David!
Here we are walking to downtown Halifax to stroll and watch the street performers.



Downtown Halifax and harbour.






We saw many dogs and Benson and Claire had to stop and pet every single one.




Benson quickly formed a bond with Uncle David aka Donny aka Donatello from TMNT. That's what he called him the whole time and likewise, David respectively called Benson Leo. Benson insisted that their turtle van was faster than ours and wanted to ride in it every chance he could.



Claire and Auntie Jess waiting for lunch.


On an afternoon to ourselves we took the kids to Chocolate Lake to go swimming. This is the closest thing to a swim-able beach and it was COOOOLD.

Check out those North Carolina TANS!!





Our last morning we went to the shore and walked along the boardwalk. Benson and Claire found some treasures and enjoyed throwing rocks in the ocean. It truly is very, very beautiful here.


Benson and Claire with Uncle David and Auntie Jess in front of the Halifax Temple.



On our way back we decided at the last minute to change route and go a bit further to Prince Edward Island since we were so close. We are all about the quick trips--been there, done that attitude. We spent about 4 hours in PEI and it was stunning!


We drove over an 8 mile bridge leaving New Brunswick and entering PEI. A little scary but so cool. This first picture of the light house is leaving New Brunswick...and the second is approaching PEI.




SO BEAUTIFUL.

First thing was going to see Green Gables. I got so excited when we got closer and saw signs. However, I was EXTREMELY disappointed when it wasn't the farm and house from the movie!! I thought it would be the same as I remember it being filmed in Canada, but it wasn't. It was the original Green Gables, the home of LM Montgomery's aunt and uncle. She loved it there, spent a lot of time there and thus wanted it for the setting of her book. I guess it was still neat to see. :)






We stopped at a place called New Glasgow Lobster Suppers where we got lobster and bottomless muscles.
Delish.
Claire didn't like the muscles at first and then discovered the tiny meaty stub that is sometimes left on... I don't know how to describe it but she took each shell and tried to eat that!




Ben enjoying forkfuls of about 5-10 muscles...drowned in butter...



After dinner at sunset. Again, just so beautiful.





On our way back out of PEI.
Flags of all 13 Provinces and Territories.



Breathtaking sunset!! Our camera obviously didn't do it justice.

The long bridge back ...


Such a fun trip!
WE LOVE JESS & DAVID!! WE LOVE CANADA!!

9 comments:

Lovely Lisa said...

Oh, Sarah. Yer killing me. This is my dream vacation — not even kidding. I've been telling Bradley for years that I have to see PEI before I die. You're the first person I've ever known who has actually gone there.

On another note... my brother served his mission in Halifax. Of course, he spent his entire time in New Brunswick because he was French-speaking. George Gastelum served in the same mission (at the same time as my brother, ironically) but he was English-speaking.

Courtney said...

That's soo fun!!! You all have had so manyy fun vacations this year! I love it. The kids are cute as ever.

Callie said...

That trip would be so amazing. I would LOVE to go to all of those places. Halifax and PEI look SO beautiful and so green! Claire's little swimsuit is so cute. That seafood looks SO SO good!

jane said...

Sarah, We LOVED having you! It is good to see the pictures. Can't wait to reunite again at Christmas!!

Linda said...

I believe the edible version is mussels. just sayin. (slang for saying)

but ya, awesome vacation, I'm super jealous. I tried to compare in Boston but I don't think I won that round.

Mike and Erika said...

You are so lucky to go to Green Gables! It looked so pretty. It was so much fun to see some pics and Jess and Dave. It looked like a fun trip.

Dimond Blogger said...

Hey Sarah, I am glad that I found your blog! Looks like you had a great trip! I can't believe how much Clair has grown up since we left. We miss you guys, but hope things are going well for you.

Lindy and Amelia (she loved looking at your pictures!)

Shannon Stoker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

Green Gables, wow, that is like my crazy ultimate dream come true! i'm glad you told me the truth of it, though, so when i do go, it's not the crazy ultimate let-down!! : )