Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Swimming and make believe!

Hello there!
Just a few quick pics of Benson and Claire at swimming lessons.

Claire was the youngest there and the awesomest. Benson was the awesomest swimmer for sure and Claire was just the awesomest.... especially the day that I was rushed and forgot to grab her actual swim suit.
It's like...'Earth to Sarah'?
(isn't that such a classic line? Try it on someone today!)

So, she swam in her tank top and a swim diaper. Pretty ghetoo. This also happened to be the one day I remembered to bring my camera.

Of course.




The Face going under and floating...


Both classes. Benson's class is on the left and Claire on the right. She opted to wear her sunglasses instead of the goggles I got for her.



Benson actually learned a lot of stuff! He can swim to a certain extent and loves diving for toys.







The Face jumping off the diving board

The Beast jumping off the high dive... his teacher is so far away because Benson now can jump in and swim to the ladder all by himself!!


After lessons walking back to the car. They loved their week at swimming lessons!



My kids are entering the world of make believe!
The Face loves dress up and princess stuff... well, baby stuff more than princess stuff at this point. She is starting to always have to have something on when she leaves the house.
A tiara usually is the winner as I prefer not letting her go out in the princess shoes and princess dress. I know those days are coming when she'll insist on it.



The Beast is at a whole different level.
He is OBSESSED with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and I mean obsessed. Below you can see the swords Ben made for him out of paint stirrers and tape. He LOVES them. For the longest time he was using little Lego pretending they were swords (see picture below) but they kept breaking.

He keeps his swords crossed in the back of his underwear like so. And then when he fights he whips them out.

His outfits have really gone through a wide variety of components.
He is always Leonardo so it's all blue. I'm April... and he calls me April almost all the time. I'm not sure when to make him stop doing that.




Here he is practicing his ninja moves. And here are the old tiny Lego swords that he made himself and couldn't do anything with except constantly put them back together.
OH-- and every moment we're home, he's in his underwear "because turtles don't wear clothes."


This is my first experience with my child truly imagining he is another character basically 24/7. So far we're successful in having him be Benson for church on Sundays.
Like I said, I'm April and Ben is Raphael. He insists that Claire can't be a Ninja Turtle. It's sad but Claire' isn't broken up about it.


We knew we were in something serious the other night when Ben was kissing Benson good night and said, "Good night Benson, I love you."

Benson whispered back, "Actually, it's Leo," (saying "Wee-o")

and then added, "I love you, too, Raph".
Ben and I closed the door and died laughing!

17 comments:

Kathleen said...

Sarah, these pictures are so cute! I'm dying with how adorable Claire looks as a water baby (even though she's really not a baby anymore)! And Benson seems to have done a fantastic job holding his breath under water! How fun!

Callie said...

haha, Claire is so funny with her sunglasses. Ha, cute. Benson is SO dark! that's so fun that they are in swimming!

Callie said...

That is SO cute how he said that! I love Claire in her princess dress pushing the stroller and wearing biker gloves. Benson is so cute with his swords. He looks ripped in that one with his lego swords! ha!

Kathleen said...

Okay, so none of the captions were up before, much less the Wee-o story! That is beyond hilarious! I think I'll laugh every time I think about that for the rest of my life. Seriously. And don't your kids look so cool walkin' back from the pool, struttin' their stuff?! I love the pictures you added of Benson and Claire jumping off those diving boards. Man, I'm impressed!

Jodi said...

Can you please update your blog more often because your posts are my FAVORITE ever. I was belly laughing out loud at all of the Ninja Turtle antics. I love it!

Tiff Rueckert said...

That is such a crack up! I can't believe he's that obsessed with the TMNT.

We can't wait to see you guys!

Lovely Lisa said...

Hey, at least Claire was wearing anything at the pool, right? That's more than I can say for some (much-older) girls I've seen. :) I got a good laugh from Benson and his TMNT adventures! That reminds me so much of my brothers, who went through similar phases with the original TMNT.

Kate said...

I love it when you update your blog and that is seriously hilarious about Benson and his obsession. I love that he's so into it. Must be fun going to an outdoor pool for swimming lessons!!

Chance and Emily said...

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS POST! From little Claire-face and her tiara to Benson and his TMNT swords in his underwear! HILARIOUS :)

Crystal and Brad Barger said...

I love it all! I think all the make believe is adorable and will be great pics and stories for when they are older. I like all the swords and undies for the turtles...and masks! ha ha ha Too cute! I wonder when Spencer will start doing that...

Julie said...

Way cute! The imagination of kids always amazes me.

krisjane said...

You have such cute kids!! I wish we lived closer to each other because I think our kids would have so much fun playing with together (and I'd love to hang out with you too)! Max is also always in his underwear at home being one thing or another. :) The age of make believe is so much fun! Hope you guys keeping having a great summer!!

Linda said...

I am still laughing out loud at all this. I love the depth of their characters...I hope one day my children will strip to their undies the second they get inside for whatever reason. Hilarious!!

Linda said...

oh, and I'm definitely using "earth to [insert name]" as often as I can today. especially with my clients. The schizophrenics will love it.

Courtney said...

I love it!

Kathryn Palmer said...

I love to see kids with an imagination. Benson absolutely cracks me up with his obsession. I especially enjoyed when he wore his shin guards to church under his pants. Cute kiddos.

Likely said...

I am DYING over these pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I laguhed out loud at the one with the swords in the underpants! MAx and benson are going to have a good time in the next weeks... Max was OBSESSED with the ninja turtles for a while. he still talks about them every once in a while...

And the face ... how cute can you get?

I am putting my boys in swim lessons in september once our life is hopefully calmed down a little.