Monday, January 19, 2009

Some help please...


Does anyone know how to get a little girl like this to stop waking up at 6:00 am every morning? If I were in the picture I wouldn't look as happy as Ben.


Thanks in advance.

14 comments:

nickle said...

I've just ignored mine till their offical wake up time. A teddy bear or two can help them fall back to sleep sometimes.

What's the Fancy Dance? said...

Benadryl?

Kidding, of course. (or am I?)

What's the Fancy Dance? said...

That first comment was Scott's of course. Not mine (a mom and pediatric nurse) :)! Can't say we didn't try it on the airplane once but it didn't work. Good luck! 6:00is definitely too early. I'm sure you've tried a later bedtime.

natalie palmer said...

scott goes through phases of waking up at 6 too. thankfully he's in his phase of waking up at 8, but i know i'm jinxing myself by saying that. good luck.

Melissa said...

This may sound counter intuitive, but based on the book I just read, have you tried an EARLIER bedtime? I guess that depends on how early she goes down already, but this book suggests creeping it forward by 20min.

I haven't tried it for recurrent problems, but I have noticed that when Maddie goes down to bed late that she wakes up about 30 minutes early.

Doesn't hurt to try! It could just mean more alone time in the evenings!

The Thomas Family said...

Yeah, Melissa, I've heard of that and have tried it. Her wake up time varies a little but when I tried earlier and later, she is still up early. So, I figure I'll just start putting her to bed at 6 pm and get the time in the evenings! It sounds crazy but as long as she's getting the 12 hour block right?

MaryClaire Brown said...

natalie totally did this and sometimes she still does. but, the thing is that i can so tell she's not ready to wake up that early either. even though she doesn't have a bottle at any other time anymore when she wakes up early i go give her a bottle and she drinks it and falls back to sleep for another hour or 2. it works every times.

Likely said...

Your last comment is exactly what I do. Oliver wakes up at 6 no matter what -- so I put him to bed at 6 or 6:30. Last night he went to bed at 9 and still --- up at 6! Just go with it. The scriptures tell us to get up early anyway. EArly to bed, early to rise!

Tiff Rueckert said...

No...but if you find out let me know because Dean loves to get up early...and Chris and I are not exactly early risers (anything before 8 is too early)!

Samantha said...

My sister give their babies bottles and they always go back to sleep for 2 or 3 hours. Unfortunately, that never worked on my babies, so if they ever wake up super early I keep them in bed until their official wake up time too. It works for me because I have the twins and they usually just laugh and talk gibberish to each other until I go and get them. Good luck!

Kim Hawryluk said...

Oh wow, she has sure grown up! She's soooo cute! I wish I could just get my babe to sleep through the night again, so no help from me! :P

Annie said...

Do the early bedtime! You'll all be happier. Also...black out curtains!!!!

ScrapBox Organization & Storage said...

Even if I get mine to bed early and have a peaceful evening, I end up staying up too late and then 6 a.m. is killer. Putting them to bed early AND putting myself to bed early is clearly the key. Wish I did it more often. Oh, and wish I had a teenager that liked to go to bed early and that I didn't have to wait up late for some nights.

Kathleen said...

I agree with the idea of putting Claire to bed even earlier, but maybe gradually, 10 or 15 minutes earlier each night. And it IS extremely difficult to make sure you go to bed earlier as well. Maybe you could do that gradually too. How are Claire's naps during the day? I find that when Symphany's naps lengthen, her nighttime sleep does too. Kinda crazy?!