Thursday, December 11, 2008

NOT in my wildest dreams...




My beautiful, Swedish mother didn't teach us the Swedish language but she certainly taught us to LOVE black salty licorice. She ate it while she was pregnant with us... (which I have tried to do throughout my own pregnancies).



A lot of you hate it, I know. I remember my sister, Elise, telling her friends to give her the black jelly beans they got in their Easter baskets. She received plenty and I remember going in her room and stealing a few out of the baggie on her shelf.




It seems that EVERYONE hates black licorice. Try adding salt! I grew up trying to get my friends to try it and then being horrified as they spit it out in disgust. This was PRECIOUS stuff as it had come in the mail all the way from Sweden!




I guess my siblings and I used to laugh because we knew it would happen but it was SO sad to see a piece of licorice in the trash that someone else's tongue had barely came in contact with. Tempting... especially since my cherished portion of the licorice, that lay in a baggie on my desk, mysteriously became smaller throughout the day. (Chris and Mom, I've decided it was either of you, two).




Well, who would have guessed that I married someone who LIKES IT TOO!


It's a great bond that we share.


Ben and I found this great candy store in Amsterdam last summer!


Just check out that right column. That wasn't even half of the selection!



Ben's dad is the one who really likes it in their family. What a treat it is to find some in their cupboard every time we visit there! You can find it much easier in Canada than here in the States.... at least I always thought so. (There is no Ikea in North Carolina)




Not in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought my local grocery store would carry black salty licorice. Kroger. About 5 minutes from our house. I found it a few days ago and couldn't believe my eyes.


I can't wait to be the bearer of THIS gift this Christmas!
Any takers??

16 comments:

Kathleen said...

Sounds sooooo GOOD, Sarah! I love Swedish licorice. Thank you for giving me some of this precious stuff for my birthday in the MTC. What a companion! Glad you found some close by :)

Kathleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melodie said...

Black jelly beans are my favorite! I mix 2 of them with a coconut one: delicious!!! =)

MEG said...

barf! NO thanx, you can have it all!

Likely said...

I am always happy to let all of you enjoy your Swedish licorice. Maybe you should be happy that most of us don't like it - more for you and the family.

I feel the same way about crabs.

Don't waste them on me! LEt the people who love them, have them.

Emily said...

Ah yes, I was one of those friends who let it roll off my tongue and into your trash can. So sorry it went to waste. I was also one who would hand over my black Jelly Beans to someone in your family on Easter Sunday. :) I am so glad that you found it locally!

Shannon Stoker said...

Hey - found your blog. Love the blog, hate black jelly beans. Gross! Brig likes them, though....but with SALT?!?! Really?!

Kirkland's said...

I love black licorice and haven't had it salty...I'm going to IKEA this week perhaps I'll have to try it!

Tiff Rueckert said...

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck! I cannot even express how nasty I think that stuff is! It was probably Chris who stole your licorice, he's obsessed! I SERIOUSLY think it is in your genes because Brielle LOVED it from her first try and now Dean loves it too...the kid only eats pizza, chicken nuggets (not regular chicken)edammame and fruit...yet he likes salty licorice!?! Crazy! I went to Ikea the other day and they did not have any and I asked them about it and the lady told me they had discontinued it...I don't believe her! whatever! One year we spent like $40 ordering it online...Chris thought it was worth every cent!

Tiff Rueckert said...

FYI-Brielle did not need a new Santa Lucia dress but Dean needed one...I thought about making one and then I snapped back to reality and realized that it would cost too much becaue I'd have to buy enough fabric to make atleast 2 because I don't really know how to sew and I'd surely mess up and have to start over...so it was easier to put him in Brielle's dress and find her another one!

Inger said...

I chuckled as I read. I went to Ikea here as well. They don't carry it here either anymore. I asked why. She said because people don't buy it! I am so sorry Sarah, actually I DON'T think it was Chris. Because one of my guilty memories is that I would taste your licorice!! What kind of mother am I???? So don't blame that one on Chris.

Tiff Rueckert said...

If I ever saw a bag of licorice laying around I don't care whose it was, I'm going to do whatever it takes to get as much as I can without anyone noticing. This may include lying and stealing. But I don't see it this way. I'm just doing what anyone else in this family would do. We are products of our mother.

Don't waste your time at IKEA. They only sold the weak slightly salty stuff. I consider DZ girly.
Consider the following at Dutchsweets.com:
Gloria Rhomben Licorice
Haring Drop Licorice
Katjes Salzige Heringe Licorice
Salmiakjes Licorice

Just some suggestions. If you do go DZ make sure it's the soft DZ. This way you can chew and not suck. You can eat more and quicker this way. Ordering online is the way to go.

Chris

The Gainors said...

my dad loves black licorice and we have always teased him for it. guess he's not alone.

Linda said...

I hope some of that will find me soon. It's been too long. I agree with chris. IKEA is weak sauce. Order the real stuff. the kind with the liquid salt centers and the salt visible to the partaker...mmmmm.

A Wrinkle in Time said...

And...I officially miss you! Please please call me! I am begging you. I am going to go back to all my emails and comments to find your new number.

esianoyam3 said...

Well, I totally can't stand black licorice of any kind, but I'm glad you're able to find it locally. :) I'm impressed with some of the things I've been able to find at Kroger. Now, if they'd just start carrying palm sugar...