Monday, April 21, 2008

Our lilla girl

The day before Claire was born, the weather was so beautiful and Ben, Nin and I went out shooting gophers. I felt pretty ghetto to say the least, but it was fun and Benson loved driving in the truck.





Anyway- the next morning, Tuesday the 15th, I went to a play group with Benson and my water broke at about 11:30 am. Ben and I went to the hospital around 3:30 pm, they admitted me at about 5:00 pm, I was induced at 7:00 pm sharp and Claire was born at 8:34 pm! Yes, it all happened really quickly... too quickly as a matter of fact. I was third on the list to get an epidural and they never made it to me. That sucked...but my experience with a labor and delivery sans medication has had definite benefits!! My recovery has been superb!

Here she is, born 10 days early:

She was 8 lbs 2 oz and 20 1/2 inches.



She's a good lilla girl... but will be better once she stops staying up at night and sleeping all day!!!!

As for the beast, he hasn't really taken interest. He wants to look at her when she cries but that's about it. He's had a rough week as is... the picture doesn't really show but he fell and hit in between his eyes and has a nasty bruise. Then he fell again and got the scratches.



Well, it is definitely an adjustment and I think of so many of you who have done or are doing the same thing! Thanks for your great examples and for your encouragement!

19 comments:

Courtney said...

What a doll! She is beautiful. And what a story too...you two have fun adventures when it comes to having babies:) Sarah you are such a cute mamma! Congratulations!!!!!!

Melissa said...

Congratulations! She is just perfect! I'm glad to hear Benson isn't acting out for attention or anything...it gives me hope! I'm glad you had a quick time with the labor too!

Cait said...

First she is adorable! Thanks for letting hold her the other day! You are amazing to me that you were out, and you look great! And I LOVE the picture of you shooting a gun the day before you give birth, so funny!

Jordana said...

She is so precious! Claire looks like a little angel. And I LOVE the pic of you shooting a gun. Calgary has really turned you into a cowgirl. My mum would be so jealous. Love ya!

Likely said...

Sarah, she's beautiful! I love the picture of you shooting gophers...classic and yes, very ghetto. But I kinda love that.

Don't worry about her not sleeping just right yet! I've heard said before that the first three months of life for an infant are like the fourth trimester. They are so confused and new and just need to feel safe and secure and comforted. How scary it must be for them!

She will adjust, and most likely she will do it on her own. I truly see that it is like a fourth trimester. I literally held Oliver nealy the first three months straight. He was very colicky and cried a lot and just wanted to be held and nursed and held and nursed. So I held and nursed him. And he is doing wonderfully now. Smiley and happy and content. Some take more adjust ing than others. Just be patient and enjoy this wonderful bonding time.

We love you and are so proud of you and Claire! Congratulations to all of you.

MaryClaire Brown said...

yay. she's here. i'm so excited for you. i love that you were shooting the day before she was born, and good for her being born a little early and not making her mom suffer longer than necessary. having 2 little ones is a HUGE adjustment. i too always found myself thinking of everyone else i knew who had done it. that helped. sleep whenever you possibly can. i hope benson is doing alright. it is an adjustment for him. be sure to give some extra special attention. it's so fun to have 2. especially a boy and girl.

Samantha said...

Yay for babies! Congratulations. She really is so adorable. And I LOVED the picture of you shooting the gun. It made me so happy and actually reminded me of our costumes at the white trash BBQ we had at the brick house back in the day. Loved it.

Inger said...

Sarah, WOW!! Beautiful baby! And what a cute mama shooting gophers. Elise is getting used to "the river". You are adjusting to shooting gophers and life on "a farm". That is what you do... adjust to your circumstances. And count your blessings. Baby Claire is a beautiful child. She is your lilla flicka!

Mackenzie said...

She is sooo Cute! I love the newborn phase! Congrats! And you looked great out there shootin the gun! Hope all goes well she is beautiful.

krisjane said...

Congratulations!!!! She is a little doll!! Aaron thought the picture of you shooting was great! He wishes I would go out shooting with him! I'm going to have to go now. :) It's kind of cool delivering without an epidural. I got one with Max, but it had worn off 4 hours before I delivered him, so I experienced the delivery with no medication. This time I would like to experience it with medication though! :) Well, keep posting about how you are adjusting to 2 kids...I'm going to need your advice and guidance here in a few months! Congrats again! She's so beautiful!

Inger said...

I LOVE the baby walker idea!! Mormor might be coming home on Thursday, she will have a walker to steady her, as the knee heals! Cute idea, Linda.

Kim Hawryluk said...

ha ha, I seriously love the ghetto photo of you shooting gofers!
Congrats on the new addition! She is so adorable! Can't wait to see her in person. Hope you're feeling well!

laurav said...

The picture of you shooting gophers 9 months preggo is too funny! You looked great the other day. I hope all is going well. We'll have to all get together again soon.

natalie palmer said...

what in the world?? how are you so lucky!? wasn't benson early too?? i'm dying! clair is so beautiful! how was the labor? i need details! i'm flipping out here! maybe you could just email me personally if you don't want the whole blogging world to know the details of your labor. would it be more appropriate if you told me about it while sleeping in my basement surrounded by spiders??

Kirkland's said...

Congrats! I love the picture of you with the gun. Claire's a beauty, so glad you survived a natural birth....I couldn't do it. Having a newbie and a toddler is a fun phase, enjoy it - I'm trying to!

Kari said...

Killing gophers one day, having a baby the next, you are amazing!!

Carina said...

What a doll! I'm so glad to see she arrived.


Yeah, a toddler and a baby will kick your trash to the curb, for sure.

Anonymous said...

This will probably too late and in too long of a line to be noticed by you, Thomas family, but I wanted to point out that if you are going to shoot yer guns out the back of a truck nine months pregnant, you might as well move down to Mississippi with us!

Annie said...

Congrats! She is beautiful. I didn't realize that you were having her so soon. Welcome to the world little Claire.

btw, those shooting pictures are cracking me up. Nothing like a big belly and a shotgun. :)