Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pulling the plug

Benson will be 19 months next week and next week marks 3 more months until beast #2 comes. I randomly started talking to my mom-in-law about it today and decided I want to wean Benson from the pacifier before the new baby comes so it is one less thing that I have to worry about later. Benson only has the binky at nap time and at bed time... when I take him out of bed, he takes the binky out of his mouth and throws it in his crib himself!

I think I have prolonged it this far because the blessed binky has made life SO easy for me over the past 15 months... but I always knew it would become my worst enemy in the future. I'm scared to do it and I think the pacifier has been for me, not Benson! But I figure I need to suck it up, think about my child's best interest over my own and deal with whatever comes with it...even if it means less sleep.

Having said that, does anyone have any tips or advice from personal experiences or things you have heard? Is it best to do it before beast #2... should I cold turkey... cut a little bit off the end... etc? I would appreciate any advice and/or words of encouragement!

8 comments:

Annie said...

Since we just did this, I am going to put in my two cents. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you get rid of ALL of the binki's in your house. Don't leave any around or it will thwart your progress. We did cold turkey until our cousin went nad bought a new binki for Kate. Then we did the cut thing. Finally, we gave our binki to a brand new baby that we knew. I think this was the best. Benson is a bit younger though, so I am not sure if he will get the logic. I say get rid of it atleast 2 months before the baby. One really cute idea that I just heard what that the mom went and bought balloons and tied them to the ends and let them go--bye, bye binki.

As always, my friend Angie at askmissangie, has great advice on the subject.

MaryClaire Brown said...

are you sure you want to take it away. i've heard that it really isn't that bad for them to have a pacifier while they're little. and, i've heard of several people who's kids stopped taking naps when they took away the binki...are you ready for that? maybe i'm too much of a softie.

Melissa said...

We're about to ditch ours too! I'm so worried...everything has been going too good to volunteer a wrench to be thrown in it! Thanks for posting your question...I'll keep checking back!

Kari said...

Grace is the only one of my girls who used a binki and getting rid of it was no big deal. We just played up the fact that she was a big girl, and big kids don't use them. Then we had her throw them away in our outside trash can, and when she'd ask for it we'd remind her that she threw it away. I think the most important thing is not forcing it. If he's not ready and it causes him too much stress, there's no need to rush it. Good luck!!

Kim Hawryluk said...

Of course, my opinion probably doesn't count for much, as I am only expecting my first now...but, here's what I think: just do it.

You're probably right that it will be harder for you than him because he's not super attached to it. Of course, I haven't ever had to go through this, but it seems like it might not be that difficult given the circumstances. Put it completely out of sight and don't talk about it when it gets time for nap/bedtime. You could probably distract him by spending an extra couple minutes next to his bed singing a lullaby or a soft primary song to help him fall asleep.

I don't know if it will work, as I don't know anything yet, but there's my advice! :)

Kirkland's said...

I just took the bottle away - I'm a little late, but anyway, I don't see the binky being as easy as the bottle. Good luck with that! Baby steps.

Jodi said...

I have no advice, but good luck with it. Callie is a MAJOR finger sucker. The two middle ones- what I am ever going to do to wean her off of her own fingers! I can't cut them off- I can just see her entering kindergarten sucking her fingers. Oh boy...
By the way- you are more cooped up than me. At least I have a car and places to go. But, it has been snowing so much that I don't want to go out and brave the elements. Uhhh...I hate winter.

~Pam said...

You don't know me, but I am Kim Hawryluk's sister and know the Thomas' so I decided to look at your blog as it is attached to my sisters! I have had 3 out 4 of my kids that liked the binkie and I found cold turkey is the best. We threw all but one out and then cut the tip completely off (not when they are looking) and left it on the floor/bed whatever. When they found it, we just said "hu-oh, broken." I left it there for 2 or 3 days saying broken and then when they weren't looking threw it out and that was it. They may have cried a bit, but not more then a day or two. It's like potty training, once you do it you can't go back! It is harder on the parent then the child because we want to reach for it in time of need!! I don't know if this last bit will help for future babies, but I found if I could get rid of binkies and bottles (start sippy cups at about 9 months)no later then 12 months it was way easier as they weren't quite as aware and didn't have quite as strong of an opinion! Good Luck.
p.s. the balloon idea is cute...