I think I have the best little boy in the world!!! Well, as far as weaning is concerned... him screaming at the mall is another story...
For all those who care, read on for how taking away the pacifier went. If you don't care, skip down to my announcement.
Last Thursday I decided at the last second not to give Benson his pacifier for his nap. He did SPLENDIDLY and cried for about 20 seconds. I knew he was tired anyway because we had a very busy, interactive morning. That night- he cried for 1o seconds! I thought it couldn't be that easy... and it wasn't!
The next day Benson cried for almost an hour before falling asleep for his nap and the next day he didn't fall asleep AT ALL! I looked at the comments on my post and read what Mary Claire wrote about kids that stop taking naps when they are weaned and I flipped out. I am NOT ready for that. I contemplated giving the binkie back but I knew that wasn't a good idea on day #3 to have the binkie reappear.
Anyway, to make a long story short. It's done. It will be day #6 tomorrow and he is napping now. I just kept putting him down like normal, consistently. The naps are shorter-- about an hour and a half instead of two and a half hours, but I'll take that any day. Oh yeah, and he was always a champ at night. I attribute that to my obsession with Benson's schedule and routine that I have enforced like a nazi since he was 2 months old. Now, I have added a book and I sing a song holding him before laying him down. I don't know, Benson has always been a great sleeper.
Overall, I have learned that I make things harder on myself by worrying so much. I know every kid is different but don't be scared to pull the plug- just do it and it will go much smoother than you think!!
I have an ANNOUNCEMENT!
So, I had an ultrasound the other day. Yup, my survey has been a waste of time... I think we're going to name her Claire!
23 comments:
yay for getting rid of the binkie...good for you and good for benson! and, i'm SOOOO excited for you that you're having a girl. i know you really wanted one and they are so much fun. and, i of course love the name!
Wow! Congrats!! Looks like your niece isn't going to be the only grandaughter anymore!!!
What a nice announcement Sarah! I love the name Claire, it sounds so French and is really beautiful. Bisous
good for you! Being binki free really is so nice and yes, we make it harder than it really is.
what a fun announcement! time to think pink.
i thought it said bikini free--had to read it a few times cuz at first I was like-yeah, just go naked.
and HOLY CRAP! how about little levrah--female version of Levi.
KIDDING. I love Claire.
How exciting!!!! I LOVE the name Claire!!! I also have loved reading about taking the binki away because even thought Max is just 9 months old I am already contemplating taking it away from him now. He sleeps great at night and has never slept good during the day, but whenever he makes some improvements, if that stupid binki falls out of his mouth he wakes up and wont go to sleep until I come back in and put it back in. It's a blessing and a curse. I have hope now after reading your experience!! :) Congrats again!!!
Good work with the binki thing and CONGRATULATIONS on the little lady!! You already know how I feel about the name Claire...it's perfect!
Wow! That is so exciting about it being a girl! So much for being prepared with baby things, though! When is your due date again?
Also, good job with Bens! I'm still so scared...unlike you I wouldn't be happy with 1 1/2 hours of quiet instead of 3!
Are you kidding!!!! That is so exciting Sarah! Yeah for a little girl!!! And I love the story about the binki, confession... Brooklyn still drinks a bottle before she goes to bed, so it gave me some hope that I can do it!
Sarah!!!!! I AM SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU! you are going to have the perfect little family, an older brother and than the sweet little princess! I love the name! Congrats
what????????? I love Claire too. That one is on MY list by the way. But since you beat me to a girl, you can have it :). Just kidding...
Way to go little benson beast! All of the nazi-ism is paying off! glad to hear you are singing to him now too! He has been missing out on your beautiful voice for too long.
OH MY GOODNESS! SARAH! Wow! How excited, and so...unexpected! Matt called Jeff and told him that you all were having a girl. Jeff and I were both like, uhhh, no they are having a boy. So we ran to check the blog and lo and behold...a girl! Man our families are twinners now....:)
I cannot believe that you are having a girl! I am so happy for you. Are you going to vote on the girl's name or is it Claire of sure? (Not that I don't like Claire, I just really like voting!) Congrats on the binkie situation too!
what in the world! i'm flipping out here! how could they mistake the boy part?? now i'm wondering if mine is a mistake! no, it couldn't be. they gave us like six pictures of our little guys..you know.
oh wow! what a surprise! that will be fun to be able to add another girl to the rueckert clan!
Congrats on "pulling the plug"! ha ha Also, congrats on the girl announcement! That's so exciting! We're not going to find out the sex of our baby, but I secretly hope it's a girl! :) I love the name Claire, but will that be confusing with already having a Claire in the family?
Hey Sarah,
Congrats on the girl! That is so exciting! And I LOVE the name - it was between that and Paige and it was a tough decision!
Felicidades! A little girl....how fun, I bet your mom is excited. Do you need any baby girl stuff...I've got TONS I can send you. Let me know!
YEA YEA YEA!!!!! Brielle is finally going to see what it is like to have a girl cousin! I can't believe it! I AM SO SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU! GIRLS ARE FANTASITC!
I cannot believe the switch! But I'm so happy for you - we love girls at our house! Kudos on taking the binki away, I'm not ready for that...perhaps at 2!
WOW! I am so exicted for you guys. You are the second person i've heard of this happening to today. Crazy. Anyway, Congrats!
Claire is the cutest name EVER!
Sarah, I am so proud of you for sticking to it. You will be very happy in the long run. And congrats on the news of a little girl. How much fun. Are they sure this time?
I love the name Claire. It's one of my favorites! Good choice!
Post a Comment